Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Workout Formula


Are you trying too hard, working out too much, planning your weight loss demise? I can’t tell you how often I hear, “I work out every day and can’t seem to lose my stomach.” Or, “I am on this new diet, I don’t know why, they never work.” Or, “Working out isn’t working anymore. When I started spinning (or working out with my trainer) I lost 10 pounds right away – now I am spinning (or training) twice as much and can’t lose a pound.”
If you are working out every day – cut it out – it’s too much. And if you are not enjoying your exercise class, or running, or meeting your trainer – forget it! That training is draining. And if in your heart you do not believe that “this new diet” will work for you – don’t do it. You are not only wasting time (and money probably) but also reinforcing failure!
Try a different tactic. I think you need to change up your workouts and rework your mind about eating.
Start here:1. No new diets, no new restrictions, just stop it all.
2. Repeat a positive mantra to yourself every day to recondition your thinking – and your behavior will change because of it.
While thinking the following thoughts, envision yourself healthy, happily eating the foods and in the shape you want to be: “I enjoy whole healthy foods, I prefer them, I choose them, I lose weight easily and my health is better because of them."
3. Envision your workouts the night before as easy and fun. Really, even for the intense days, see yourself totally loving the workout.
And when you are ready to train with precision:
a) Two workouts a week 20-30 minutes at high intensity (your rate of perceived exertion should be 8-9 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being highest). Try 10 two-minute speed intervals (walking fast, running or cycling/spinning) with 30-60 seconds of recovery in between.
b) one workout a week for 60 minutes or more at a moderate intensity. Walk, cycle or run at a steady but moderate pace.
c) one circuit workout a week for 35-45 minutes at moderately high intensity. Try walking powerfully or jogging/running or mix it, alternating running and walking, for five minutes, then go into two sets of 15 walking lunges on each side with a 30-60 seconds break (walking easily) in between.
Then walk/jog at moderately high intensity for 10 minutes, find a bench or curb and alternate one set of 10 push ups, with a set of 10 triceps extensions (two times each). Walk/jog powerfully for five minutes and then do two sets of 50 jumping jacks with a little recovery (15-30 seconds of jogging in place) in between. Walk/jog for 10 minutes and then finish off with two sets of 15 abdominal crunches. The formula for success: four workouts a week, daily affirmations, and positive visualization – that’ll get you in shape and in love with your life.

No comments: