Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Why Do You Think God Has Delivered You From All Your Past Afflictions?


David wrote: "In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears....He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. They prevented [came upon] me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay. He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me" (Psalm 18:6, 16-19).

Dear saint, rest assured -- if you're being afflicted, it is because God delights in you. "Whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth..." (Hebrews 12:6). Your afflictions are a sign of his love!
You must also remember that whatever you're going through will pass. Recently, I read a passage in one of my journals, which I wrote while going through a great trial. Three months' worth of entries all ended with the same phrase: "Oh, God, when will this nightmare end?" Then, finally, these words appeared across a page in huge letters: "IT'S OVER -- HE HAS DELIVERED!"

I can honestly say I have learned more in my afflictions than I ever did in good times. Prosperity doesn't teach us; afflictions do. The humanitarian Albert Schweitzer said, "Happiness is good health and a bad memory." No -- happiness is remembering all the ways God has brought us through!
I ask you again: How are you reacting to your afflictions? Are you wasting them, becoming a doubter and complainer? Or are you building up your faith, knowing that your God delivers?
There is only one way to endure your present troubles: Remember that your heavenly father delights in you! He has a plan at work, a great investment in you. And "...he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6). Your father is preparing you to be a veteran of spiritual warfare -- an example of faith and trust to this generation. Hallelujah!

No comments: